Bonus Digest: Word Pictures

Figuring out Movie 2 on a bonus episode of Riddles in the Dark Digest Trish Lambert welcomes Breana Melvin, winner of last years Riddles in the Dark...

Figuring out Movie 2 on a bonus episode of Riddles in the Dark Digest

Trish Lambert welcomes Breana Melvin, winner of last years Riddles in the Dark riddle game to talk about Movie 2.  Breana compiled all of Peter Jackson’s public videos (prior to release of the first movie trailer) about The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, putting everything into as close as chronological as she could. She and Trish consider the meaning of it all while painting word pictures for the listeners.

Bonus Conundrum (aka The Hot Dwarf Conundrum): Is Fili hotter than Thorin?

040 039 038 037 036 035 034 033 032 031 030 029 028 027 026 025 024 023 022 021 020 019 018 017 016 015 014 013 012 011 010 009 008 007 006 005 004 003 002 001 070 069 068 066 065 064b 064 063 062b 062 061 060 059 058 057 056 055 054 053 052 051 050 049 048 047 046 045 044 043 042 041 040b

1. Adam June 11, 2013 at 9:34 am #

Awesome, more stuff to listen to! I love you guys!

2. Sparrow F. Alden June 11, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Fili and Thorin appeal to different age brackets. Fili? Yes, absolutely hot, but Thorin is pretty much solar plasma for this older fan!

3. Tony Meade June 11, 2013 at 2:25 pm #

Just in time to have the trailer come out the same day!! Perfect timing.

4. Trish June 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Haha! I was DETERMINED to get this out before the trailer got release. Nothing like being just under the wire!

5. Tony Meade June 11, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

Ugh… I just turned this episode off halfway through when she said that she “hated” the first Hobbit film.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but if Breana hates these films, why is she here? I’ve kind of had it with the primary act of fandom these days being finding things to bitch about.

6. Bre June 11, 2013 at 10:11 pm #

I’m here because I like the Lord of the Rings films, I like the text, and I like the potential of these films. I also did like the first part of the first Hobbit film; I thought that was very well done. As a whole I liked the film as an adaptation, just not as a film.

My complaints are more directed towards the aesthetic style of the CG, and general look of CG in all films currently, which I’m more critical of because that’s my field of work and I ought to be critical of it and not just accept it simply because it exists because it’s my job to make that stuff better.

Watching the trailer for the second film, it’s clear that they’ve polished this style a lot more because these elements look better. I have a bad habit of just talking about the things I don’t like about something and forget to mention the things I actually liked.

7. Ian June 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm #

You guys keep stating that Gandalf says in AUJ that he’s never been to Dol Guldur, which bit of the film are you referring to? I can’t find this anywhere.

The only bit where he mentions his own interactions with Dol Guldur is at the Council where he talks about his conversations with the Woodsmen who tell him about the Necromancer, an idea that he dismissed before Radagast recounting what he had seen there more recently.

What am I missing?

8. Joe June 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

Exactly right. And, to further complicate matters, the word “hot” changed its meaning some time between Breana’s birthdate and mine. In olden days, you couldn’t tell if someone was “hot” just by looking at them.[1] It’s entirely possible for both answers to be right.

J

[1] From the 1970′s, “Rocket in my Pocket” by Little Feat. From the 1980′s “Der Kommissar” by Falco (German) or by After the Fire (English).

9. Murray June 14, 2013 at 4:27 pm #

I never saw the the preview discussed at the start, so am not sure what was being looked at, but it sounded like Breana (sp?) said Beorn’s cabin was in Mirkwood. If so, that’s incorrect, at least in the book.

10. Murray June 14, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

Comment #2: I only see the still of the hand holding the locket, but perhaps the elves have captured the dwarves and it’s Legolas looking at the locket, which is a picture of young Gimli….

11. Trish June 14, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

Yeah, we said a couple of times that we couldn’t show the video because of copyright infringement and apologized for that. That’s why I included a gazillion stills on the page for this episode…try to give a little bit of visual reference at least!

There are photos floating around on the web of Beorn’s house from the movie. It does look like it’s placed in or on the edge of Mirkwood. I think that’s what Breana was referring to…if you can find them, let us know what you think.

12. Bre June 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

I’m now suspecting that the locket bit is the elves confiscating the dwarves’ weapons, and they find the locket while doing that.

And yeah Beorn’s house looks like it’s on the edge of Mirkwood, at least the treeline is starting there. I may have said ‘in,’ but I’m not verbal the most articulate (much better written) so I apologize.

13. Bre June 15, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

I believe it’s around the time when Radagast meets up with the party in woods, before they’re interrupted by the warg-riding orcs… but it may have been sooner. It was a very quick mention, but it stood out to me when I first watched it.

14. Phillip Menzies October 11, 2013 at 9:12 am #

I’m glad I finally listened to this one. I found myself agreeing with Breanna about the look of the Hobbit movies. I hadn’t been able to put my finger on it before listening to this episode. You could see in the photos Breanna put together the large number of scenes that were filmed in a fragment of a set in front of a green screen whereas in LOTR they would have scouted and found a location that suited the scene or built a whole set to film a scene in. These new movies have a somewhat unreal look to them in consequence. My son has a more pragmatic approach. He said “Dad it’s just because the story is being told and it is one person’s recollection of events.” I will keep this in mind to ground me when I see movie 2.
    The other thing is I shouldn’t be but am still surprised that after being a part of this conversation and seeing what they have shown us so far that Trish still seemed to be swayed by Corey on where Movie 2 will end. Come on Trish! We want controversy and a bit of disagreement. I would listen to Bre. She is the undisputed champion after all.

15. Halstein December 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Not sure how this is measured. I will answer no, because Thorin has bigger body-mass. If dwarves have the same body-temperature, the one with the biggest body-mass will contain most heat-energy. Thus Bombur is the hottest dwarf.

Halstein.