Join the Tolkien Professor Corey Olsen, Dave Kale, Trish Lambert, Laura Berkholtz and guests for discussion of the third and final Hobbit film. In the main episodes, Corey Olsen and his co-hosts Trish and Dave talk about Tolkien’s original book as well as later writings in the context of the Peter Jackson’s film. Less frequently, and on a to-be-determined schedule, Corey and Laura review listener comments about the main episodes and occasionally host special guests on “Riddles in the Dark Supererogatory.” Registration links for live broadcasts are listed below by schedule date. Links to audio and/or video versions of the taped episodes are listed under past episodes. Audio versions are also available through The Tolkien Professor channel on iTunes.
Talk Amongst Yourselves….
There are several ways you can interact with RITD hosts and other listeners:
- When you attend the live broadcast, you can post comments and questions for the hosts within the Netmoot. At the same time, you can open this page and click on the bouncing Chat box here.
- If you listen to the podcast, or listened live but needed to do some mulling before commenting, you can post to our free forum. If you haven’t already registered to use the Mythgard Academy class forums, fill out the registration form and you’ll will get your own access to the forum.
- And, of course, there is still the Riddles in the Dark Predictions Facebook page.
Trying to Remember??
Do you want to go back to listen to any of the Year 1 and 2 episodes? Just search on “riddles in the dark” in the box at the top of the page and you’ll find past episodes. If you subscribe to The Tolkien Professor on iTunes, you can get back episodes there too.
Those Pesky Life Circumstances…
Though we are committed to the schedule listed below, life circumstances sometimes intervene and demand that we reschedule an episode. If you have alredy reserved a seat for a live broadcast using the links below, you will automatically receive email notification if the episode(s) you’ve registered for have been rescheduled.
That Great Music
The music we use in our episodes includes:
- “Expert Treasure Hunter” by the Lonely Mountain Band (RITD intro)
- “The Long Walk,” inspired by Bilbo’s own “there and back again” by RITD fan and wonderful musician Jim Dexter (RITD outro)
- “The Sevenfold Meeting” by the Lonely Mountain Band (RITDS intro)
- “Long Forgotten Gold” by the Lonely Mountain Band (RITDS outro)
Many thanks to John Di Bartolo and Jim Dexter for permission to use their tunes.
Riddles in the Dark Year 3 Schedule
Episode 3a Desolation of Smaug – Reactions and Thoughts Live: Friday, January 10
Episode 3b Desolation of Smaug – Analysis of 3 Main Plot Lines Live: Friday, January 24
Bonus Pronunciation Guide
Here ends the Riddles in the Dark game, forever. Game participants will submit their answer sheets prior to the next live episode.
Postgame Episode 1 Live: Friday, September 19 at 10:00 am (Eastern Time)
Postgame Episode 4 Live: Friday, October 31 at 10:00 am (Eastern Time)
Postgame Episode 5 Live: Wednesay, November 19 at 10:00 am (Eastern Time)
Postgame Episode 6 Live: Friday, November 28 at 10:00 am (Eastern Time)
Join the Live Session
Postgame Episode 7 Live: Friday, December 12 at 10:00 am (Eastern Time)
Join the Live Session
Dates for post-movie-release episodes are to be determined and will be listed here when confirmed.
Want to Be More Involved?
Love Riddles in the Dark? Want to keep supporting the work that Mythgard Institute (not to mention our amazing students and faculty) does to keep fantasy and other imaginative literature going strong? Consider making your own recurring donation today using PayPal.
Want to know more about the folks bringing you the Riddles in the Dark podcast series and predictions? Read the press release – and learn about our pundits here.